The Silicon Valley Leadership Group is a public policy business trade organization. The Leadership Group was founded in 1978 by David Packard of Hewlett-Packard and represents more than 400 of Silicon Valley’s most respected employers on issues, programs and campaigns that affect the economic health and quality of life in Silicon Valley, including energy, transportation, education, housing, health care, tax policies, economic vitality and the environment. Leadership Group members collectively provide nearly one of every three private sector jobs in Silicon Valley and contribute more than $3 trillion to the worldwide economy.
Silicon Valley Leadership Group 2016 – 2018 Work Plan
- Diversity in the STEM Pipeline: Promote policies and programs that prepare and encourage the inclusion and participation of women and under-represented minorities in STEM careers.
- New Education Reforms: Support the implementation of new statewide and national reforms, such as Common Core, Next Generation Science Standards and STEM and “Local Control Funding Formula.”
- Workforce Development: Stimulate demand for the development of a diverse workforce in the Valley, with a focus on recruitment, training, and retention.
- Education Technology: Advocate for educational technologies that support and improve learning (child development, academic outcomes, skills training).
- Clean Energy: Promote financing and deployment of clean energy and engage in efforts to implement key clean energy legislation, to the benefit of the tech sector.
- Grid Modernization and Reliability: Promote and facilitate integration of technologies that support a safer, digitalized, more efficient and reliable gas and electric grid with active participation of third parties and customers.
- Energy Efficiency: Assist end users with improving energy efficiency and promote energy efficiency through implementation of key legislation.
- Energy R&D: Advocate for state and federal investments in energy research, development and demonstration projects.
- Support regional flood control & SF Bay restoration measure: Engage business community support and educate members about the effort to restore SF Bay and protect the region from flooding.
- Support corporate environmental sustainability: Within the broader context of corporate social responsibility efforts, advance corporate environmental sustainability drivers and showcase solutions that protect the environment while growing new markets &/or reducing costs.
- Support climate change mitigation efforts: Advance enabling environment that allows clean & efficient energy to scale. Advocate for solutions that maximize water supply while minimizing GHGs.
- Help advance 21st century water supply: Promote technological innovation and diffusion and support increased funding for water sector.
- Promote co-equal goals of reliable water supply & ecosystem health for California and Silicon Valley: Support the Governor’s Delta Plan; CA Water Fix and CA EcoRestore.
- Silicon Valley Roundtables and Outreach: Organize a dozen strategic roundtables on the federal, state & local levels to develop legislative relationships and further policy.
- Silicon Valley Caucus: Strengthen and expand the 15-member Silicon Valley Caucus with executive involvement.
- Federal and State Advocacy Trips: Participation of 40 executives and public officials on the annual DC and Sacramento trips.
- City & County Outreach: Regional roundtable series with city and county public officials and city managers.
- Red Tape into Red Carpet (RT2RC): Innovative awards reception to honor local governments that achieve meaningful reforms and high quality job creation services.
- Health Care Law Implementation: Promote increased access, quality, and cost controls while minimizing burdens on employers in health care reform implementation.
- Prevention and Wellness – Worksite Programs: Help employers start or improve wellness programs and offerings as a long term cost containment strategy.
- Prevention and Wellness – Public Health Promotion: Advocate for public health issues that are critical for achieving greater health equity and for increasing the quality of life.
- Healthcare Innovation: Promote innovation in growth areas and advocate for policies that help providers, biotech/medtech companies and research institutions innovate.
Housing and Land Use
- Local Policy: Promote affordable and workforce housing development at the city and county level through fees and measures, and advocate for projects and programs serving the homeless.
- Regional, Planning: Pass the preferred scenario for the Lawrence Station Area Plan in Sunnyvale. Work with VTA to revise their surplus land policy to incorporate affordable housing goals.
- Project Advocacy: Endorse 10 housing proposals annually and mobilize support at city councils and planning commissions. Focus on impacting Specific Plans in Sunnyvale, Mountain View and San Jose.
- Community Outreach/Education: Organize one affordable housing tour. Educate community leaders about the importance of housing through four dinners for local leaders.
- Member Company Employee Engagement: There will be 4 events within the first year of this project, to educate and engage employees, coordinating with SV@Home and cities to create innovative programming.
- State Policy: Help shape and promote legislative efforts around permanent funding, housing element law, local finance, regional planning, inclusionary zoning, and transit oriented development.
- CEQA: Lay groundwork for renewed legislative strategy by maintaining a baseline level of CEQA coalition building work.
- U.S. Business Tax Reform & Permanent R&D Tax Credit: Lower business tax rate/territorial tax system, R&D tax credit, tax extenders.
- Improve CA Research and Development Tax Credit: Support solutions to expand R&D investment in California.
- Silicon Valley Property Tax Valuation Fairness: Partner with County Assessors to promote fair valuation tables, consistent & efficient audits.
- Intangible Software Tax Fairness: Support reasonable, simple and fair application of state business taxes on software & technology.
- Board of Equalization: Reasonable Audits: Develop reasonable valuations and audit manual guidance for business taxpayers.
Tech & Innovation
- Data Privacy: Ensure that government operations respect the data privacy of companies and individuals.
- Scientific Research Funding: Promote government funding which supports research, experimentation, and emerging technologies or advances.
- Trade: Accelerate international commerce by supporting efforts to facilitate trade with strategic partners and global markets.
- Patent Reform: Advocate for legislation that modernizes the patent system.
- Open Government Data: Encourage the release of government data to increase transparency, participatory governance, and commercial opportunity.
- 2016 Santa Clara County Transportation Measure: Pass a transportation measure to relieve congestion and improve economic vitality in Santa Clara County.
- BART to Silicon Valley: Advocate for Phase 2 funding at the federal and state levels.
- Caltrain: Work with Caltrain on short, mid and long term strategies to double ridership in 10 years to 120,000 daily riders. Complete Caltrain/Hwy 101 Visioning Report with SPUR. Co-lead the Caltrain Commuter Coalition with the Bay Area Council and SAMCEDA.
- Superbowl Transportation: Assist 35 Regional Transportation Agencies to ensure a successful Transit Plan.
- Regional Traffic Relief: Assist San Francisco and Santa Cruz Counties with passing 2016 transportation measures.
- San Jose Airport: Survey members on top Domestic priorities. Reactively help with Airport requests for our member’s top three priorities.
- Applied Materials Silicon Valley Turkey Trot: Secure 28,000 paid participants, supported by 2,500 volunteers, raising $1,000,000 for charity.
- 1,000 Hearts for 1,000 Minds: With SJ Mayor Sam Liccardo recruit another 500 caring tutors for K-8 students in reading, math and science.
- Pasta Bowl Community Partnership w/ 49ers: Raise $200,000 for education programs for disadvantaged kids in needy schools.
- STEM with Mayor Sam Liccardo: A series of evening events at East Side middle schools that invites 7th graders and their families. Aims to address math achievement gap by enrolling eligible students in the SVEF Elevate [Math] summer program.
- TiVo Santa Run Silicon Valley: Secure 4,500 race participants, raising $125,000 for charity.
- Lam Research Heart & Soles 5k Run or Walk: For Year 3 secure $180,000 funding for another 70 salad bars to bring our 3 year total to 192.
- Latino Technology Scholarship Fund: In partnership with HFSV, help provide scholarships to 500 local students to earn college degrees in STEM.
- CCBI: Incubated through 2016, the California Climate Breakthrough Initiative will help educate the general public and engage key influencers regarding climate change impacts and solutions.
- Strategic Branded Partnerships: Canary Foundation, San Jose Jazz, Beautiful Day, SV Talent Partnership.