“There’s No Place Like Home.”
That phrase is more than just a great line from the film classic, The Wizard of Oz.
In Silicon Valley, it also reflects the enduring work of a quiet yet effective group of grassroots leaders called the Housing Action Coalition.
Last week, the Housing Action Coalition celebrated its 20th Anniversary of advocacy for well-built, appropriately located, affordable rental and for-sale homes for Silicon Valley workers and their families.
And what a 20 years it has been. Consider the numbers. In just 20 years, the Coalition has:
- Endorsed 229 affordable home proposals.
- Those thoughtful developments represent 65,059 new home opportunities.
- 179 of those developments have been approved, built and occupied.
- 27 more have been approved and are currently being built.
- Less than 11 percent were rejected or dropped.
More than just homes, the Housing Action Coalition advocates for developments with nearby transit options, neighborhood services and safe communities.
Due to their efforts, tens of thousands of families can utter that famous phrase, “There’s No Place Like Home.”
To learn more about the Housing Action Coalition, visit the Silicon Valley Leadership Group website at svlg.org.