Okay, truth be told – I hate taxes. I just hate traffic more.
So why am I leading and funding a traffic relief and road repair initiative on the November ballot – known as Measure B?
First, Measure B provides the traffic relief, transit alternatives and road repair funds we need:
- We finish the job in bringing BART to Silicon Valley, with stations at Alum Rock, next to San Jose State, the SAP Arena and Santa Clara University.
- We build on the electrification of Caltrain commuter rail service, to add capacity and safety improvements.
- We fund street maintenance and pothole repairs in all 15 cities and towns.
- We ease traffic on all 10 County Expressways – like Almaden, Capitol, Lawrence and San Tomas.
- We fix interchanges on all 8 Highways that tie us up in traffic knots, like 87, 17, 237, 85, 101, 280, 680 and 880.
- And we don’t leave our senior citizens or those with disabilities stranded at the curb, by ensuring lifeline and core transit service for those without cars or no longer able to use their cars.
Second, Measure B ensures the accountability provisions we deserve:
- With Annual Independent Audits,
- A Citizens Watchdog Committee to oversee the funds,
- And a 2/3 vote requirement at the ballot box, so that every dollar can only be used for the specific traffic improvements in the measure.
Santa Clara County is a great place to live and work, but traffic congestion taxes my patience. With Measure B, we start to unlock the gridlock with guarantees needed to ensure accountability.
Learn for yourself at YesMeasureB.com.