Top 2015 – 2017 Priority Areas
- Support Regional and State Climate Change Mitigation Efforts: Advance enabling environment that allows clean & efficient energy to scale.
- Support Corporate Environmental Sustainability: Within the broader context of corporate social responsibility efforts, advance corporate environmental sustainability drivers and showcase solutions that protect the environment while growing new markets &/or reducing costs.
- Support State & Regional Climate Change Planning and Preparedness: Engage business community in climate change adaptation efforts.
- Support Co-equal Goals of Reliable Water Supply & Ecosystem Health: Support Bay Delta Conservation Plan (BDCP) process.
- Advance 21st Century Water Supply System: Advance necessary water reforms, practices, policies and tools and financing to ensure the region has the water it needs for a growing population.
To view the full 2015-2017 work plan for the Environment Committee, please click here.
Securing Safe Clean Water & Flood Protection for the Bay Area
As the population of the Bay Area continues to grow, it is critical to ensure that we continue to have access to the reliable, safe and clean water our cities, homes and businesses. The Leadership Group was involved in two November 2012 ballot measures – one in Santa Clara and one in San Francisco which had direct impacts on the region’s water supply. The Leadership Group helped direct campaign strategy, secured valuable earned media, raised funds and helped land key endorsements for both initiatives.
- Successfully passed Measure B in Santa Clara County – $548 million parcel tax measure for clean, safe water and regional flood protection.
- Successfully defeated Proposition F in San Francisco, which would have cost billions and threatened Bay Area drinking water supply.
No on Prop 23 – Protecting California’s Green Economy
The Leadership Group played a key role in the victorious 2010 campaign to defeat Proposition 23, serving on both the Executive Committee and Steering Committee for the campaign. Prop 23 would have done enormous damage to California’s leadership of the green economy. The Leadership Group was actively engaged throughout the campaign, including early advocacy in Sacramento, CEO and senior executive briefings, media engagement, hosting high-profile public events, recruitment of coalition members and campaign fundraising.
State Water Policy – Historic Reform
The Leadership Group, together with our R.E.A.L. Coalition partners, helped secure passage of a historic water policy and bond measure package in 2009. The comprehensive deal represented a major step towards ensuring a reliable water supply for future generations, as well as restoring the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta and other ecologically sensitive areas. The package established a Delta Stewardship Council, set ambitious water conservation policy, ensures better groundwater monitoring, and provides funds for the State Water Resources Control Board for increased enforcement of illegal water diversions. The bond, which was the centerpiece of the package, still has not been put before the voters. The Leadership Group is currently working with a number of organizations to address water infrastructure financing that will have broad public support.
Green Chemistry Policy – Transparent, Rational & Scientifically-Based Decision Making
The Leadership Group played a key role in the state’s landmark green chemistry initiative, which aims to reduce or eliminate the use of chemicals that persist in the environment and pose a threat to public health in favor of safer alternatives. The Leadership Group’s Green Chemistry Task Force provided the Department of Toxic Substances Control with dozens of specific recommendations, many of which were adopted and then later codified in AB 1879 (Feuer) and SB 509 (Simitian) – both supported by the Leadership Group and signed into law by Governor Schwarzenegger in 2008.
SVLG Environment Staff Contacts
Mike Mielke | Sr. Vice President, Environmental Programs & Policy | firstname.lastname@example.org; 408-501-7858
Sarah Qureshi | Energy & Environment Sr. Associate | email@example.com; 408-501-7883